Lately, I’ve been doing a lot of reminiscing and remembering things back from my childhood. One of those places I have fond memories for is Long Island. Why? Because that’s where my my grew up and one set of grandparents live.
I know it’s kind of crazy, but a couple of weeks ago, I found the street and house that my mom grew up in (I looked it up online). We used to go there every Thanksgiving, and of course we’d go there in the summer. I think I remember their next door neighbor’s pool more than anything. I’ve always loved that water. We live in Westchester, so not too far away from Long Island, but it was definitely a good drive to get there.
So, I thought it would be fun to jot down some of the amazing advantages of living on Long Island.
1. The beaches and the water. Yes, I love love love the water. We used to go to Atlantic Beach and Jones Beach every summer. The ocean and waves are awesome. And, of course as you drive out further on the island, you have The Hamptons. Many here in NYC metro area love to go there for the weekends. In fact, many have a second summer house just for that purpose. Of course, on the North Fork of the Island, you also have the Long Island Sound which is very peaceful and calm. For me, I preferred the waves, but I suppose that’s not for everyone. Oh, and don’t forget the concerts on the beach, especially Jones Beach.
2. Amazing swim clubs and golf courses. We used to go to Woodmere and again, anytime I was near any sort of water, I was in heaven. But, there are tons of them – everywhere. And, there are some amazing resorts, too. One summer, we went out to Gurney’s in Montauk at the tip of Long Island. That was amazing.
3. You are just a hop, skip and jump away from NYC. NYC is probably the or one of the greatest cities on earth. I love Paris, London and Rome, and NYC is right up there with them. Can anybody say Broadway shows? Love them. And, the restaurants are AMAZING. Many who live on Long Island work in Manhattan and commute. So, naturally finding a home near a train station is key (and of course this improves the value of your house). On Long Island you have the advantages of The City while living in the suburbs. It’s the best of both worlds.
4. Great schools. Yes, this area of the country has amazing public schools. Of course the quality can vary town by town, but for the most part, amazing school systems.
5. Amazing shopping. Yes, great shopping all over the place. Afterall, it’s just outside NYC. So, you have tons of stores and plenty of farmer’s markets.
6. Lots of parks. The land is amazing and diverse, so you have parks, walking trails, places to ride horses. You have apple orchards (yes, we have tons of apples in this state). And, there’s berry picking. Yummy. In the fall, you have pumpkin patches and corn mazes.
7. The 4 seasons. The naturally beauty is impeccable and you have a variety. Yes, there are winters (not my fave), but this helps you appreciate spring even more and it’s absolutely beautiful with the trees and all the flowers. And, you have real grass. Then summer, my favorite…that means beach and pool time. And, ice cream. Yes, find some cool homemade ice cream and savor any lick. Fall is spectacular with breathtaking fall foliage. It’s unbeatable.
8. Vineyards. If you’re into wine, you can find plenty of places for a tour and wine tasting.
9. Amazing restaurants. Being right outside NYC, you can find amazing restaurants with a huge diversity of ethnicities. And, the prices are much lower than the City. And, you may have heard me mention the ocean a few times…yes, of course there is awesome seafood on Long Island. And, in some of those seafood restaurants, you can dine with a view of the Ocean. How perfect. And, if you’re a sushi lover, you can get it fresh on Long Island. And, don’t forget, Long Island is in New York, so that means the greatest bagels on earth.
10. Lots of museums and historical sites. You have art museums, aquariums, libraries and old shoppes. You’ll find sites from before the Revolutionary war here. Such diversity.
As you can see, Long Island is a great place to live, and if you are looking to buy a house on Long Island, it’s a great investment, as Long Island never goes out of style…it just has so much to offer. If have a house on Long Island that you need to sell fast, you shouldn’t have a problem as it’s in high demand.
So, Long Island is really a great place to live. It’s also a wonderful place to visit or go for a long weekend, especially in the summer and early fall.